What is BS EN 50615?
In March 2015, the European Commission’s European Committee for Electrotechnical Standardisation announced the new European stove guard Standard BS EN 50615. The BS EN 50615 standard was designed to help consumers identify effective cooking safety products. Airis falls under Category B of the standard: Prevention of Ignition. Airis fully meets the requirements of the standard, and in fact exceeds it in several ways. Older products, such as timers and presence detection systems, don’t meet the requirements because they are unable to prevent a fire.
BS EN 50615 compliance – what it means
To be compliant with BS EN 50615, a system must:
- have the ability to disconnect the cooker (or hob) from the electricity supply before a fire starts
- have the ability to cut off the cooker (or hob) electricity supply before the temperature reaches a dangerous level
- ensure that the electricity cut-off is not be triggered by a false alarm
Before a product can be certified as compliant, a series of tests must be carried out, including:
- heating a prescribed volume of sunflower oil in a pan, with the burner/ring on its highest power setting
- using other burners simultaneously to boil water to make the environment more complex and challenging
- testing all burners one by one
Airis and BS EN 50615
Under BS EN 50615, the electricity cut-off must not be triggered by a false alarm. This is highly significant as it means cooking can take place as normal without the need for training, changes in behaviour and without causing frustration to or confusing residents. In being compliant with BS EN 50615, Airis is therefore a completely unobtrusive solution which can be applied to any kitchen, regardless of the type of residents.
Airis complies not only with BS EN 50615, but with the essential requirements and other relevant provisions of EMC- directive: 2004/108/EC, Low Voltage Directive 2006/95/EU, EMC Requirements EN 60730-1:2001, Electromagnetic compatibility EN 300 220-1, Appliances requirements IEC60335-2-31 clause 30 and Council Directive 76/769 EEC Dangerous Substances Used in Products.
Airis is also:
- Resilient to insulation testing at 500V
- Resilient to earth fault loop impedance testing
Airis has been tested for compliance with BS EN 50615 by SINTEF, the largest independent research organisation in Scandinavia. More details are available on request.